RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#32 :: Wednesday, 27 February 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#32 :: Wednesday, 27 February 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Matters: How Big a Threat Is Russia? RM Staff interview with Graham Allison.
2. AP: Russia Presses Case for Greater Control Over Its Internet.
3. TASS: Kremlin says cyber attacks against Russia perpetually initiated from US territory.
4. Sputnik: Trump Personally Approved US Military’s Cyberattack Against Russia – Report.
5. Asia Times: Giovanni Pigni, Concern over plan to build ‘Russian internet.’ Moscow says it needs to prepare for a possible cyberwar, but critics say it wants control of the Net.
6. Russian International Affairs Council: Anastasia Tolstukhina, Two Cyber Resolutions Are Better Than None. [russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/two-cyber-resolutions-are-better-than-none/]
7. Bear Market Brief: Congress publishes new DASKA text.
[Bill Text: congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/482/text#toc-id8ECC7DE75C5F408089FFD9B1C838ECEB]
8. Sputnik: US’ New Russia Sanctions Bill Bans Americans From Buying Russian Sovereign Debt.
9. Financial Times: ‘Chaotic’ sanctions against Russia have failed, says Navalny. Putin critic claims they miss target and US and UK avoid tackling dirty money.
10. Asia Times: Russian oil’s digital dance around the dollar. The State Duma plans to review and adopt laws on cryptocurrency regulations as early as next month.
11. Valdai Discussion Club: Evgeny Buzhinsky, Middle East: Everyone for Himself.[valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/middle-east-everyone-for-himself/]
12. Washington Post: Top general wants key nuclear pact with Russia expanded to include new weapons.
13. Gazeta.ru: Website details Russia response to US INF treaty withdrawal.
14. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, Are we sleepwalking into nuclear disaster?
15. The ASAN Forum: Does Russia Have a Viable Strategy to Become an Independent Pole in Eurasia? Positive Scenario I by Alexander Lukin. [theasanforum.org/category/alternative-scenarios/?post_id=9372&c_id=9379#content_wrap]
16. RFE/RL: From ‘Not Us’ To ‘Why Hide It?’: How Russia Denied Its Crimea Invasion, Then Admitted It.
17. TASS: Ukraine’s election to change nothing in bilateral relations, 59% of Russians tell pollster.
18. Intellinews.com: Poroshenko’s team hit by defence industry corruption scandal, Tymoshenko starts impeachment process.
19. http://thesaker.is: Russia Slides Towards Internal Political Crisis (MUST SEE SouthFront video report!) [thesaker.is/russia-slides-towards-internal-political-crisis-must-see-southfront-video-report/]
20. Wall Street Journal: Holman Jenkins, The Media Will Re-Elect Trump. They would rather believe tall tales about Russia than hear what voters said in 2016.
21. www.strategic-culture.org: Patrick Armstrong, McCarthyism Then and Now: But There Was Reality Then. [strategic-culture.org/news/2019/02/27/mccarthyism-then-and-now-but-there-was-reality-then.html]