RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#30 :: Monday, 25 February 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#30 :: Monday, 25 February 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Interfax: Russia may simplify visa system for foreign tourists.
2. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Moody’s mentions “unorganised regime change” for the first time in Russian ratings note.
3. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, SICKENING.
4. Financial Times: The Putin System, by Grigory Yavlinsky. Russian politics’ nearly man offers a gloomy assessment of his country’s future. Review by Neil Buckley.
5. www.rt.com: Tribute to Nemtsov: Thousands join Moscow march in memory of slain Russian politician. [rt.com/russia/452313-moscow-nemtsov-killing-march/]
6. Meduza: Investment firm Baring Vostok asks Putin to ‘take personal control’ of the criminal case against its partners.
7. TASS: Low investment activity hinders acceleration of Russia’s economic growth – experts.
8. www.rt.com: China tops list of Russia’s biggest trade partners.
9. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, How Far Is Russia Ready to Go in Asia?
10. Intellinews.com: Belarus’s post-Soviet theatre, opportunistic technical fiddling or Putin’s ace in the hole?
11. Financial Times: Moldova faces political haggling after inconclusive poll. Pro-Russia Socialist party wins most seats but falls well short of majority.
12. TASS: Izvestia: Moldovan elections to point where country is headed.
13. NYU Jordan Center: “There is Nothing Outside the Beast”: A Conversation with Kevin Rothrock.
14. https://gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, The Kremlin’s Military Posture Re-considered: strategic military parity with the U.S. or absolute military superiority over the U.S. [gilbertdoctorow.com/2019/02/24/the-kremlins-military-posture-re-considered-strategic-military-parity-with-the-u-s-or-absolute-military-superiority-over-the-u-s/]
15. TASS: Kremlin clarifies Putin never directly declared intention to aim missiles at US.
16. The American Conservative: Scott Ritter, How Politics Trump Intel in the US-Russia Nuke Treaty Pullout. What facts? Breaking down the evidence behind Moscow’s cruise missile “violation.”
17. The Daily Beast: U.S. intelligence officials are looking to Washington-Moscow hotline as a last-ditch crisis channel that might just prevent a cataclysmic online showdown.
18. TASS: Vedomosti: US, Russia deliberate over Afghanistan’s fate.
19. Transconflict: Gordon Bardos, Spinning Russia in the Balkans. Bismarck had warned at the close of the Congress of Berlin in 1878 that the next war in Europe would probably result from “some damn foolish thing in the Balkans.” If the EU, the U.S. and Russia do not begin handling their interactions in the Balkans more seriously, we may yet again remember Bismarck’s prescient warning, with even more horrible regret. [excerpt][transconflict.com/2019/02/spinning-russia-in-the-balkans]
20. The Nation: Lev Golinkin, Neo-Nazis and the Far Right Are On the March in Ukraine. Five years after the Maidan uprising, anti-Semitism and fascist-inflected ultranationalism are rampant.
21. Brookings: Steven Pifer, Ukraine: Looking forward, five years after the Maidan Revolution.
22. New York Times: John Sipher, Putin’s One Weapon: The ‘Intelligence State.’ Russia’s leader has restored the role its intelligence agencies had in the Soviet era – keep citizens in check and destabilize foreign adversaries.
23. https://caitlinjohnstone.com: Caitlin Johnstone, Russiagaters Ramp Up Narrative Management As Mueller Report Nears. [caitlinjohnstone.com/2019/02/22/russiagaters-ramp-up-narrative-management-as-mueller-report-nears/]