RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#22 :: Thursday, 14 February 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#22 :: Thursday, 14 February 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: People make biggest contribution to maintaining their own health, says Russian minister
2. Kremlin.ru: Expanded meeting of the State Council Presidium on improving housing and creating a comfortable urban environment.
3. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with representatives of the public: the Housing and Urban Environment national project.
4. RIA Novosti: Dmitry Medvedev on the strategic goals of the country’s development.
5. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Vladislav Surkov, Putin’s Lasting State.[cluborlov.blogspot.com/2019/02/modern-russian-governance-explained.html] [ng.ru/ideas/2019-02-11/5_7503_surkov.html]
6. Vesti.ru: A Separate Russian WWW? “Sovereign Internet” Project Gains Steam Among Politicians! [vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3116299&cid=4441]
7. PONARS Eurasia: Victoria Sakevich and Maria Lipman, Abortion in Russia: How Has the Situation Changed Since the Soviet Era? (excerpt)
8. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, Munich Security Report 2019: Who Is to Blame and What to Do?
9. Sputnik: Merkel’s Successor: Russia’s Nord Stream 2 Pipeline Can’t Be Cancelled.
10. RFE/RL: U.S. Senators To Try Again With Tougher Russia Sanctions Bill.
11. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: West gearing up to slap ‘symbolic’ sanctions on Russia.
12. TASS: New US sanctions will have smaller effect than those already imposed – Bank of Russia.
13. Interfax: Russia can mitigate effects of new U.S. sanctions if imposed – Duma’s Slutsky.
14. The BlogMire: Rob Slane, European Leaders React to the Death of the INF Treaty By Perfecting Their Ostrich Impressions.
15. Moscow Times: Lincoln Mitchell and Tinatin Japaridze, Venezuela Sets the Stage for a Putin-Trump Confrontation . In the past, Trump has taken hard stances against Russia, only to back away.
16. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, CENSORS FOR DEMOCRACY.
17. AP: AP Interview: Envoy says Russia’s clout in Afghanistan rises.
18. AP: Russia more assured about war with Afghan three decades on. Friday marks the anniversary of Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan 30 years ago. Once hailed as a much sought-after end to a bloody quagmire, many Russians now see the decade-long war as successful and legitimate action against United States-backed militants.
19. Interfax: Some 70% of Ukrainians approve possible compromises with Russia, DPR, LPR for sake of peace – poll.
20. Carnegie Moscow Center: Gleb Pavolovsky, Russia and Ukraine: A Lethal Codependency. The Russia-Ukraine conflict has moved from cozy mutual exploitation to lethal hostility. Neither side is prepared to admit its deep dependence on the other.
21. www.rt.com: Revolution is the new black: How Western money funds overthrow-your-government classes. [rt.com/news/451372-camp-yerevan-protests-us-money/]
22. The Independent (UK): Russia preparing ‘perfect storm’ of 2020 interference, officials warn as Trump ‘guts’ election security funding.
23. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Butina: Not A Spy, Not Even An Agent. As I Said Hours After Her Arrest. (excerpt) [unz.com/akarlin/butina-not-spy/]
24. Consortiumnews.com: Gareth Porter, Real Motive Behind the FBI Plan to Investigate Trump as a Russian Agent . Coverage of this episode by The New York Times and CNN further stigmatizes any dissent from new Cold War policy toward Russia.[consortiumnews.com/2019/02/13/the-real-motive-behind-the-fbi-plan-to-investigate-trump-as-a-russian-agent/]
25. Sic Semper Tyrannis: By William Binnery and Larry Johnson, WHY THE DNC WAS NOT HACKED BY THE RUSSIANS.